Thursday, December 17, 2020

Blogger #25 Michelle Shtern Period 5 12/16/2020 Freshmen 2021

 The Odyssey: Homer’s Invocation 

Aim: How does Homer’s invocation establish tone for the beginning of the Odyssey?

Class Discussion:

How do you become inspired? Where does it originate? I become inspired by my friends, my family, and everyone close to me. They inspire me to do the best I can and to exceed my expectations in order to succeed. This originates in believing in yourself and telling yourself that you can succeed. 

What did I learn?

Today we learned about the 9 muses. The muses are an inspiration for artists. They each symbolize something different in Greek culture. For example, one of the muses a symbol of erotic poetry and another a symbol of drama. 

We also learned about the first 17 lines of Homer’s invocation. The invocation is a signal to god and the narrator asks the muse to call for his help and pass on the message. 

Why did I learn it? I learned this to know more about the Odyssey and greek culture.

How will I use what I learned? I will use this to expand my knowledge of greek mythology and the way Greeks live and depend on their gods. 

Invoke- call for the presence of ( usually a god )

Group Discussion:

  1. What is your opinion of Odysseus so far after hearing Homer's invocation to the muses and learning about the Trojan War?

                 Odysseus has a hard life and is surprised because he is ashamed that Homer has asked for the help of the gods to survive. 

  1. How does Homer maintain the audience’s interest in the story, knowing that the audience is aware of the outcome from the very beginning?

                Homer maintains the interest of the audience by using literary devices such as flashback. For example, he says how the plot turns out earlier in the story and explains what the future holds. 

  1. What does the invocation of the Muse in the opening lines clarify about Odysseus’ culpability (responsibility for a fault or wrong; blame) during his voyage home?

               The invocation of the muse says that no matter what Homer tried to do to save his companions, they all died because they made the mistake of eating the cow of the sun god. However, he is not to blame for their death and had no choice but to ask for their help in order to get back home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment