Friday, June 12, 2020

Blog #55 - Jian Hong Su - Period 1 - 6/11/2020

Blog #55, Jian Hong Su, Period 1, 6/11 Freshmen 2020

Aim: How can our examination of Joseph Campbell's "The Hero's Journey" expose 
Odysseus as an archetypal hero?

Notes: In class, we discussed mainly John Campbell’s theory about heroes. His idea was called “monomyth”, and it describes how all heroes follow a certain set of rules and paths. Then, we watched a video explaining monomyths and pertaining examples of other heroes besides Odysseus that follow these set of rules. Some of them include Percy Jackson and Harry Potter. Afterwards, we discussed archetypes and how they pertained to heroes. Finally, we watched another video that focused on Star Wars and Luke’s role as a hero of the story and other characters who were also archetypes.


Blog Content
Working from home is indeed relaxing, but I feel like I’m not absorbing as much information as I would in a real classroom environment. However, my time management has been better than ever, since I can choose when to work and when to take a break.

Around the world, the COVID-19 virus is still a huge pandemic. Lately, however, it’s been disregarded, because of the recent protests for black lives and the BLM movement.

In my online English lessons, I’ve been learning about archetypes and the monomyth. I’ve also been learning about fatal flaws and heroes overall. Lately, we finished Odysseus’ journey and we are now moving on to Julius Caesar.


Reflection: Learning about archetypes and the monomyth is important because I can then identify a character’s role more effectively. Certain characters will show certain characteristics, which can be defined using an archetype. The monomyth can help me notice certain patterns in a main character’s journey because all heroes follow the same set of rules and paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment