Friday, June 5, 2020

Blog #48: Joseph Kang: Period 7: 6/5/20

Joseph Kang

6/5/20

Period 7 (Day C)

Sophomores 2020

Blog #48


Aim: How is connotation, denotation, and paradox explicated through Orwell’s “doublethink?”


What is it like working from home?

  • In my opinion, I enjoy this kind of learning, where we get to stay at home and have only three-periods worth of classes per day. It allows me to work at my own pace, which helps me do better on assignments. In contrast, in school, I am sometimes forced to finish a classwork assignment in a constricted amount of time and whether or not I finish my work, I would have to submit something that I most likely rushed on. Also, I like how none of my time is being wasted on commuting and walking through the hallways from class to class, allowing me to buy more time for myself to get work done. It feels like everything is at the tip of my fingers and I get to combine working and resting however I feel like at any given moment. 


What are the updates around the world/community regarding the virus?

  • Currently, the virus is less severe and the number of active cases are actually starting to decrease, at least in the US. However, the virus doesn’t seem to be anyone’s biggest concern right now since many people throughout the US and a few other countries have begun to protest and even riot against brutal and rigged police systems. It is nice to see that many people took safety precautions by wearing masks and even gloves to protests. However, riots and increased instances of direct contact from police officers can account for a spike in new cases and even a second wave in the future. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if, in the next week or so, active cases see an increase. 


Personal feelings and thoughts about what is happening right now

  • In my opinion, I am kind of concerned that many people are not minding that we are in a pandemic right now. I’ve started to see people gather a lot lately and I know they just want to have fun and be with their friends, but if they’re not protesting or working an essential job, they should try their best not to leave their home. Just because daily new cases have decreased and active cases also are decreasing, it’s not a signal for people to start gathering with other people again, regardless of how they feel. Also, I’ve increasingly started to become aware of how corrupt and faulty police systems are in the US. After seeing countless amounts of videos and posts on social media regarding racism and police brutality, I realized how big of a problem this is. I was glad to see many celebrities and even organizations like Anonymous use their platform to raise awareness of this situation. However, I am dismayed at how the police chooses to react to protests, whether it’s peaceful or not. The fact that police officers abuse their power by using rubber bullets and tear gas just doesn’t make sense. It should be a consensus that this situation is horrible and needs to be reformed. 


Synopsis of the lesson

  • Basically, the whole lesson was about how  the Party in 1984 uses “doublethink”, or contradictory statements, to manipulate the people of Oceania. We went over the concepts of connotations, denotations, and paradoxes to supplement our understanding of the contradictory statements used in the novel. We also watched a video of a paradox, where a girl is trying to find a door to the castle but is confronted with guards exchanging confusing and contradictory statements with the girl. Then, we discussed whether or not George Orwell would want us to emphasize the concept of “doublethink.” 




Reflection


What did I learn?

  • This lesson helped clarify the difference between a connotation and a denotation and the whole idea of a paradox. However, this main takeaway from this lesson is how those concepts and “doublethink” were used in 1984 to write the contradictory statements put out by the Party through propaganda. Additionally, I learned that Winston Smith, the protagonist, was named after Winston Churchill, the prime minister of Britain during World War 2, and why Orwell made this choice. 

Why did I learn it?

  • I learned about this because first off, connotations and denotations can help me to understand what I read in a different light. For example, if I read about a plain car and a Ferrari side by side, I would immediately be amazed by the Ferrari, since it’s connotative meaning is a sign of wealth. Also, the idea of a paradox can be used to understand and interpret the ironic statements made by the Party through propaganda, such as “War is Peace,” which was made to manipulate the population into believing two contradictory statements simultaneously. This can help us understand how totalitarian societies win over their people. 


How will I use what I learned?

  • I will use what I learned to analyze books more deeply, more specifically, the irony and paradoxes present in books. Also, this can help me to identify what to trust and what not to trust in the real world through the understanding of paradoxes and connotations.

No comments:

Post a Comment